History of Chambers
Brick Court Chambers was founded in 1921. Its rise to prominence was most prolific in the 1970's with an increase in Shipping and International Trade Litigation. (Lord) Robert Alexander QC and (Lord) Nicholas Phillips QC were widely regarded as among the most consumate and able lawyers of that period, and under the watchful eye of renowned Senior Clerk Ron Burley, Brick Court soon became the prominent Chambers in London.
Rather than limit practice in these narrow areas members of Chambers advocacy skills were turned to defamation, media, sports and tax as well as disputes between some of the most colourful businessmen of the day, Robert Maxwell and Tiny Rowland.
The 1980's and 90's reflected City deregulation and the rise of EU Law, the consequences of which practitioners were able to embrace. City disputes such as Lloyds reconstruction and renewal, BCCI and British and Commonwealth were undertaken by members of Chambers. In EU Law, members of Chambers began to change the legal landscape with Factortame and the B&Q Sunday Trading litigation.
Our history is certain and well documented. However one of the factors in our continued pre-eminence is our ability to recruit the most able and talented lawyers of their generation. We pride ourselves on a rigourous and testing pupillage period to ensure that not only are we delivering excellent legal skills, but individuals who excel in advocacy and are responsive to the needs of modern clients.