Members of the clerking team
We believe that the clerks' room is integral to the continued success of Brick Court Chambers. Chambers & Partners 2009 described Brick Court Chambers as a "legal machine that is well oiled by some beautiful clerking". Our two joint senior clerks are Julian Hawes and Ian Moyler, who were appointed in 1996.
Our clerks' room is knowledgeable, proactive, and efficient. Our clerks have detailed understanding of the many courts and tribunals in which we practise. We have an open and flexible approach to fee negotiations.
We have a variety of policies in place to ensure equality of opportunity for our staff. For further information click here.
To ensure detailed knowledge of members of Chambers' practices the clerks at Brick Court Chambers are divided into three teams. However all of our clerks will be very comfortable discussing any member of Chambers' practice.
The teams are set out below:
What the Directories Say
- "They are assisted in their endeavours by "excellent clerks," who "are always willing to try and find the right counsel for you and secure their availability." Members of Julian Hawes and Ian Moyler's team are "honest and upfront; they will tell you if the timescale you put forward is not feasible." " (Chambers & Partners 2013)
- "Client sources enjoy working with a set where barristers and clerks combine to ensure "that they are simply really easy to deal with." "Always straightforward in terms of availability and fees, they just offer a great service."" (Chambers & Partners 2013)
- "The support of a "wonderfully user-friendly and proactive" group of clerks is also underlined by clients." (Chambers UK 2012)
- "The full range of matters are handled and the barristers on hand benefit from a support structure that is more sophisticated than that of many other barristers' chambers. One instructing solicitor commented: "The support staff here don't adhere to the old rigid style of clerking. They are extremely flexible in their approach, easy to deal with and get you who you want in good time." " (Chambers UK 2012)
- "Brick Court Chambers has some of ‘the top clerks in London', who are ‘both professional and easy to deal with'." (Legal 500 2011)
- "Brick Court Chambers is ‘one of the very top sets, with excellent, approachable clerks who always seem available and flexible'." (Legal 500 2011)
- "The clerks, too, are well respected, with one commentator noting that "they have a magic touch in terms of getting hearing dates when you need them."" (Chambers & Partners 2011)
- "The set's clerking is also highly regarded, with one interviewee enthusing that "the clerks are very obliging and give a great service. The billing process is transparent and efficiently handled." " (Chambers & Partners 2011)
- "ably assisted by "vibrant and energetic clerks."" (Chambers & Partners 2010)
- "The chambers is ‘well clerked‘ as the set is ‘prepared to adapt to the client's timetable‘. Julian Hawes and Ian Moyler are ‘unfailingly excellent‘." (Legal 500 2009)
- " Ian Moyler and Julian Hawes run ‘one of the best clerking systems in London, with tremendous strength in depth‘" (Legal 500 2009)