Richard Lord QC
Year of Call: 1981 Silk: 2002
“impresses with his ‘gumption even when handling the most difficult of cases.’”
- Chambers & Partners 2012
“has years of experience as a commercial litigator and is highly praised for his grasp of dry shipping, insurance and reinsurance and professional negligence matters.”
- Chambers & Partners 2011
The core of Richard Lord's practice for over 25 years has been commercial litigation and arbitration, with a particular specialisation in insurance and reinsurance, dry shipping, commodities, energy and professional negligence claims. He has appeared in and advised on numerous cases in tribunals from The House of Lords (Supreme Court) to the High Court in The British Virgin Islands. His 'home territories' are the Commercial Court in London and International Arbitrations, including ICC, LCIA, LMAA and Bermuda form arbitrations.
He acts as a mediator and arbitrator, has written textbooks on Bills of Lading and the Arbitration Act and has lectured and written extensively, as well as giving expert evidence on English law for foreign courts. Recent experience includes a number of total loss marine insurance claims, insurance disputes arising out of Hurricane Katrina, numerous charterparty disputes as well as more general commercial litigation and a jurisdiction battle in the House of Lords (Supreme Court).
In 2017 he is shortlisted by Chambers & Partners as Insurance Silk of the Year.
Main specialities are dry shipping, arbitration, insurance and reinsurance, professional negligence and commodity and energy disputes. Also has expertise in climate change liability.
Insurance and re-insurance have always been one of Richard Lord's key specialisations, especially in silk. He has advised and represented most of the leading European and UK insurers as well as numerous brokers, Lloyd's syndicates, U.S. insurers and high profile assureds/reassureds. Recent cases include several marine total loss cases, energy claims, yacht claims. As well as a number of reinsurance claims.
Richard Lord has acted in a large number of dry shipping disputes including numerous bill of lading cases, cargo claims, and time and voyage charter disputes, as well as shipbuilding, ship finance and general commercial cases with a marine element.
Commodity and international trade experience includes sale and purchase and similar disputes involving, coal, steel, cement, oil, vegetable oils, etc. Recent claims include three disputes relating to force majeure allegations on coal shipment, and arbitrations over cancelled cement contract and contaminated sunflower seed oil, dispute over validity of alleged long term wheat supply contract, and disputes over steel contracts.
Richard is a supporting member of the LMAA and accepts appointment as an arbitrator. Recent appointments include a demurrage dispute and a ship finance dispute.
Richard Lord has extensive and recent experience of commodity disputes usually in arbitration such as LCIA arbitration or in the High Court. In recent years he has been involved two coal shipment disputes (one in court, one LCIA) on COAs for major traders, one for Russian coal and one for WCSA (West Coast South America), one significant dispute on a cement contract – Far East to Spain (London arbitration), and other disputes concerning iron ore, soya, rice and wheat. Currently involved in major dispute involving numerous sugar/wheat shipments into Iran. Currently engaged in major litigation (taking place in London and Rotterdam) regarding oil trading with Nigeria. These are typically multi million dollar disputes (Nigerian case worth $75m) involving shipments on FOF, CIF, CFR and DAS terms.
CEDR accredited mediator with experience of mediation as both mediator and advocate. Richard Lord has wide experience of mediation of commercial disputes, both as an advocate and a mediator, and particularly in the insurance and shipping fields. Experience includes disputes involving insurance claims, shipbroking, collisions at sea, rotten bananas, a valuable painting, accountants' negligence and charterparty cases.
- Bills of Lading (2006) with Aikens J. and Michael Bools.
- Guide to Arbitration Act 1996 (1996) with Simon Salzedo.
- Controlled Drugs - Law and Practice (1984).
- Climate Change Liability (2011) co-editor.
- Numerous articles, papers and seminars on fields ranging from shipping and insurance to conflict of laws and climate change litigation.
Education & Qualifications
- Joined Brick Court Chambers in 1984 after two general common law pupillages in 1981/1982. Took silk in 2002.
- Education Stowe School and Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge
- "He is prudent and meticulous in his preparation of cases and is extremely persuasive at hearings." (Chambers & Partners 2017)
- "An effective and methodical advocate." (Legal 500 2016)
- "He is a wonderful advocate who is very client-focused." "Has an outstanding intellect which he combines with devastating charm." (Chambers & Partners 2016)
- "Richard Lord QC is an “extremely able and popular” silk who “knows shipping law inside out”. For over 25 years, Lord has been practising arbitration and litigation, with clients stating their appreciation for his “leading abilities”." (Who's Who Legal UK Bar 2015)
- "impresses with his "gumption even when handling the most difficult of cases."" (Chambers & Partners 2012)
- "has years of experience as a commercial litigator and is highly praised for his grasp of dry shipping, insurance and reinsurance and professional negligence matters." (Chambers & Partners 2011)
- "the type of barrister a solicitor can take their clients to see with confidence" (Chambers & Partners 2010)
- "‘very good black-letter lawyer'" (Legal 500 2010, Shipping)
- "reliable and commercial" (Legal 500 2009)
- "extremely pleasant, reliable and fantastic with tribunals" (Chambers & Partners, 2007)
- "thorough and commercial' with ‘a first rate brain" (Legal 500, 2007)