Year of Call: 2015
Sophie has assisted with work across all areas of Chambers’ work, including Commercial, EU/Competition and Public law. Her pupil supervisors have been Kelyn Bacon QC, Stephen Midwinter and Nicholas Saunders.
She read law at Clare College, Cambridge (including an exchange year at Utrecht University). She gained the top first in Part II, winning prizes for Equity and EU law, and subsequently achieved a first on the LLM.
Sophie has assisted with the following cases:
- Mutual Energy v Starr Underwriting: an insurance claim concerning the failure of subsea cables (as a pupil sitting with Nicholas Saunders).
- Catalyst Managerial Services v Libya Africa Investment Portfolio: a claim concerning the provision of managerial services to the Libya Africa Investment Portfolio (as a pupil sitting with Nicholas Saunders).
- Prudential Guarantee and Assurance v Marsh: a breach of confidentiality claim between an insurer and a broker (as a pupil sitting with Stephen Midwinter).
- Energy Venture Partners v Commissioner of the Police for the Metropolis: a claim brought against the police alleging that officers had committed the tort of deceit in the discharge of their duties (as a pupil sitting with Stephen Midwinter).
- An arbitration concerning Directors and Officers’ Liability insurance policies (as a pupil sitting with Stephen Midwinter).
As a pupil, Sophie has assisted in the following matters:
- SeaFrance v CMA, an appeal to the Supreme Court concerning when the merger control rules apply to dormant/insolvent companies under the Enterprise Act 2002 (as a pupil sitting with Kelyn Bacon QC).
- Accord v Astellas, a case in the High Court concerning the legality of reliance on German reference product to obtain a marketing authorisation in the United Kingdom (as a pupil sitting with Kelyn Bacon QC).
While sitting with Kelyn Bacon QC, Sophie assisted with Tann UK Limited and others v Secretary of State for Health, a judicial review concerning the lawfulness of the 'Plain Packaging' Regulations in the United Kingdom.
Education & Qualifications
2015-16 Pupillage, Brick Court Chambers
2014-15 BPTC, BPP Law School (Outstanding)
2013-14 LLM, Clare College, Cambridge (1st Class)
2009-13 BA (Hons) Law, Clare College, Cambridge (1st Class, 1st in year)
2011-12 Erasmus Exchange, Utrecht University
Scholarships and prizes
University of Cambridge:
- Slaughter and May Prize for Best Overall Performance in Part II Law (2013)
- Clifford Chance Prize for European Union Law (2013)
- 3 Verulam Buildings Prize for Equity (2013)
- Rebecca Flower Squire Scholarship (2013)
Clare College, Cambridge:
- Clare College LLM Scholarship (2013-2014)
- William Senior Prize for Law, Clare College, University of Cambridge (2013)
- JJ Powell Prize, Middle Temple (2015)
- Certificate of Honour, Middle Temple (2015)
- Queen Mother Scholarship, Middle Temple (2014)
- Bar European Group Phoenicia Scholar (2016)
- BPP Excellence Award (2014)